Scheda punto di interesse
Fossombrone rises, wedged between hills and plain, where the Metauro valley shrinks, between the Furlo gorge and the sea. The city has a Roman origin and, in the Middle Ages, it was under the domain of the Malatesta family from Pesaro and then became one of the major centers of the Duchy of Urbino, until its devolution to the Holy See (1631), following its fortunes until the Unification of Italy. The old town is dominated by the ruins of the Malatesta’s fortress, then rebuilt on a project by Francesco di Giorgio Martini. During the dominion of the Montefeltro and Della Rovere families, Fossombrone was enriched with numerous palaces, including the High Court, now the Archaeological Museum and Art Gallery, and the Lower Court, the former residence of Cardinal Giuliano Della Rovere. The course is surrounded by buildings with characteristic facade with bosses, such as the Town Hall (sec. XVI) and Bishopric (sec. XV) in addition to sacred buildings such as the Baroque church of St. Philip and the Cathedral, rebuilt in the late eighteenth century.
The Museum house Quadreria Cesarini is very interesting. There you can admire the original furniture from the early twentieth century of the luxurious house of the notary Giuseppe Cesarini, together with his art collection, with works by important artists such as A. Bucci, A. Funi, G. Morandi and N. Caffè.
One of the city's landmarks is the Bridge of Concordia over the Metauro River, characterized by a single and wide arch; over it, the landscape is dominated by the old Convent of the Capuchins.