Scheda punto di interesse
The bridge, with three arches over the Candigliano River at the outskirts of Acqualagna, has been the subject of a survey in the eighteenth century although it was clear that only a part of the structures was due to the Roman period. The bridge had monumental size: It was more than fifty meters long and m 7.25 wide. It consisted of three large semicircular arches, of which the two on the sides were respectively m 10.30 wide (on the left of the river) and m 12 (on the right) and the middle one was m 13,30.
The two shoulders were about two meters thick and the two piles m 4.03; the latter were defended on the upstream side by a breakwater rostrum with a sharp angle. The two batteries (completely) and the shoulders (partly) were characterized by a structure in opus quadratum, consisting of big stone slabs arranged in regular rows. The set of the arches was built with the same ancient technique and with the same material, while the remaining part of the three vaults - built with bricks and stones - was from a restoration "of the lower times perhaps even the Middle Ages".
The original structure, because of the features highlighted above, refers to the Augustan period. During the last World War, the bridge was destroyed and a modern one has been soon rebuilt on the same foundations. A photograph previous to 1944 shows that the eighteenth-century graphic relief is fully reliable; the interpretation of the original elements in opus quadratum on the two piles - including the beginning of the arches - and of part of the shoulders of the bridge, is accurate. More photos document the state of collapse due to the bombing, with large blocks allover.