Scheda punto di interesse
The church of San Michele stands on the western side of the city, in the same place of the ancient Roman tower in origin merged with the Augustus’ gate, with an adjoining building which is spread towards the city centre.
The Palace, where you can admire a beautiful loggia and a beautiful cloister, was originally a convent, then a hospice.
The Church of San Michele was built in 1494 by Lombard workers - largely active in the Marche area until the entire first half of the sixteenth century - and was completed about ten years later.
The church had been built with recycled materials (Istrian stone) coming from the adjacent gate of Augustus, partially demolished during the siege of 1463 posed by the Duke Federico of Montefeltro. The plate engraved with the name of "Augustus" in beautiful Roman characters, that is part of the frieze on the porch which ran the dedicatory inscription to Emperor, confirms that.
The image carved in bas-relief on the right side of the church facade that mimics the door as it appeared before the war destroyed the attic above, recall the original configuration of the Augustus’ gate and to witness the humanistic cult of ancient Rome.
In 1766 - 1767 the church underwent a total makeover and developed in height by means of an elevation which was removed afterwards. In 1937 some regime pseudo-archaeologists, dismounted and rebuilt the church some meter back from the door, because it use to hide the right lateral fornix, determining the destruction of the eighteenth-century interior decoration too.
The beautiful portal of access to the aula, in typical Renaissance style, in the white façade in Istrian stone with a gabled scheme, is noteworthy.
The interior with a single nave is completely manipulated by actions from last century when it only had the main altar bearing the famous altarpiece by Bartolomeo and Pompeo Morganti representing the Resurrection of Lazarus and St. Michael the Archangel.